Subscribe to The Bark -- the Ultimate Dog Magazine icon

Suki’s Return

November 24, 2010
By

Yesterday at about 2:30pm I received a voicemail from a woman named Deb. She said that we’d emailed way back when I first lost Suki. She spends a lot of time on Craigslist trying to match up lost cats with found cats. She also does some fostering for a rescue group called Animal Angels. At that time I got dozens of nice emails and phone calls from wonderful folks trying to help me get Suki back.

She told me that she had found Suki. She had been looking on Craiglist for a different cat and saw an ad for woman who was trying to rehome two cats. She recognized one of them as Suki. She contacted the woman who had her and they discussed the cat and Deb was positive it was Suki. She gave me her number to call her back. I was about to call her when I got another call from an unrecognized phone number.

It was Kate, the woman who had the cat. She said, “Are you the one who’s missing Suki? Well, I have her!” I’ve had people think they have found her in the past, so I was cautiously optimistic, but she offered to bring the cat over in the evening.

I was so nervous waiting that I couldn’t even eat dinner (and when I can’t eat, you know something’s weird). Kate showed up around 6:30 with the cat. I looked at her and said, “Are you my Suki?”

We sat with her for a little bit trying to determine if it was Suki or not, but everything was telling me it was her. She’d just been very well fed (read: she’s now fat) so I wasn’t 100% sure at first.

Kate told us all that she knew about Suki. Here’s the readers digest version:
She was found in Uptown (she’s not sure exactly where) by Kate’s friend. It was raining and the friend was standing under an umbrella. Suki came up to her and snuggled up to her feet, under the umbrella. I guess it never occurred to her that Suki might already have an owner; or if she did, she didn’t care. So the woman took her home and named her Karma. She kept her for a few months then had to give her up. She gave her to Kate. This was around Halloween of 2009.

Suki/Karma had been living with Kate and her roommates since then. They acquired another cat who is sorta naughty (mostly shredding carpet) and the landlord asked Kate get rid of the cats. So she placed an ad on CL.

That’s when Deb came to the rescue (literally!). She saw the post, remembered Suki, directed Kate to Suki’s website (http://suki.ecalos.com) and Kate knew right away it was the same cat. She called me and we discussed Suki’s strange habits and mannerisms and we were pretty sure.

Kate was happy that Suki found her family, but I could tell she was a little sad about leaving her. She said goodbye a few times and still had some trouble leaving. It was sweet. I gave her Suki’s reward money, which was still in an envelope in it’s hiding place since August of 2009. She was hesitant but we insisted.

I had so many visions of awful things happening to Suki while she was gone, I’m very happy to know that Suki was treated so well and loved.

We’re bringing her to the vet on Friday for a tune-up and to check her chip and make sure. Though if the chip reads anything other than she’s mine, I’m going to assume there are two chips, because this is my cat. I know it.*

My Note from the Universe yesterday was this:

You are among friends, Amy.

Everyone, always, everywhere.

If you only knew, Amy, how deeply connected you are to everyone now on earth, you’d probably faint.

Life is good,
The Universe

Word.

*Update: it’s totally her. Chip matched. But even before that, I knew. When I went to feed her the following morning as soon as I grabbed the food off the shelf she ran straight to the spot where she always ate. Unfortunately, Albert now eats there, so we had to make some modifications. :)

Tags:

posted in Reunited | 11 Comments

11 Responses to Suki’s Return

1. Barbara Lotsberg on November 24, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Great story Amy

2. Cyndi on November 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm

That is so heartwarming! It’s good to know there are people like that out there! Brought tears to my eyes! I’m so happy for you!! I love my kitties so much! I can imagine the feeling!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    love ya!

3. momcat deb on November 25, 2010 at 3:24 am

Dear Amy~
    After all these many,many months of looking at Suki’s adorable little face on my computer screen, checking and comparing her’s with so many other “Found” kitties that I’ve come across…to see this picture with her face next to yours, her Mama, I actually burst into tears as it began to sink in that Suki is finally back home where she belongs, safe and sound! Sadly, there are so many that are lost out there ~ it’s more than overwhelming:( Only about 5% of lost cats ever make it back home…I’m overjoyed that she is one of the lucky ones! :)
    I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving together ~~
    Welcome Home Suki! >”<

PS. and plez be a good girl and stay in your yard!:)

4. admin on November 25, 2010 at 8:22 am

Oh Deb, your comment made *me* cry! :)
    And as for her leaving her yard? I”m never letting her out of my sight! Thankfully, she spent the last year as an indoor cat so I’m hoping that will make it easier to keep her indoors.
    Thank you so so so much, I will be indebted to you always.

5. lyn on November 26, 2010 at 3:44 am

So glad to hear about Suki, Amy, I’ve always felt so sad about her. Wonderful story! Sweet kitty!

6. momcat deb on November 27, 2010 at 5:44 am

So happy to hear she’ll be staying indoors! Here’s what helps me and my crew get thru the winter, until we can open windows again…
    A good amount of catnip, catgrass and cat videos… aaannnd some more catnip! (we all need a little distraction, right?!;) and of course, new toys are always fun too!

Hope this winter will be a warm and cozy one for all of you! >”<

7. Judi on January 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm

U made my day!! What a wonderful story!!

8. tiffany p on January 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm

same type of story on my side, but it was only for 2 months in the middle of winter. while a friend was keeping her for mouse control and she snuck outside. she was about 9 lbs when she got outside. when she was finally found, she weighed about 2 1/2. skin and bones, no clue how she made it. and if she tried to come home on her own(5 miles away) she had to cross a river, that wasn’t froze all the way across.. she is a inside outside cat. but she hadn’t been outside all winter till then! glad i got my “free” kitty back. and i am glad you got your “suki” kitty back! it is very scary when stuff like this happens.. i was thinking the same thing you were, someone has to have my cat! but your cat got the better end of the deal and someone did.. not my poor kitty! but all ends well!!! :-)

9. Hilary on January 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I have goosebumps!!! That is absolutely amazing! My cat Sabrina is EVERYTHING to me!! She’s diabetic and gets 2 shots a day, it’s like having a kid. Thousands of dollars already spent and I wouldn’t trade her for anything. My sister lost her cat about 6 months ago and we still haven’t found Tigger. I’m really hoping some loving person has him, but boy he’s missed. Your story shows so much love and hope…..So here’s hoping that Tigger will come home.

10. Mari P on January 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm

What a wonderful story. And one I hope Mick and I will repeat (in a much tighter time frame?) one day. Thanks for sharing your story and friending us on FB. You’re a doll. Do you mind if I share with my Missing Cat Assistance Yahoo group?

11. Amy on January 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Yes. Absolutely share the story!